Friday 31 October 2008

Learning to draw

It may seem a bit odd for an artist but I have just bought a book on learning to draw. I've always said I have no natural talent and when I do a line drawing to do a cp picture I use either a grid method or a lightbox. If I draw freehand it's a disaster, doesn't even look like the animal it's meant to represent. It was with some trepidation that I ordered this book, which came highly recommended, it's called 'The new Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards. I've only just started it but the results so far are remarkable and already I would recommend this book to anyone that thinks they can't draw but would like to. I'm going to post one of the drawings I've done from the first proper exercise in the book, which involves copying a line drawing taken from a 16th century drawing by an unknown german artist..........but upside down! Now if I'd tried to do this the right way up it would have looked dreadful. Ok, I know it isn't perfect but as this is the very early stages of the book I'm so impressed with the result.


My next coloured pencil project is nearly under way, I'm going to do one of the delightful foxes from the British Wildlife Centre, I got some great photos of them on the photography day back in May. Maybe one day I'll be drawing them from life!

1 comment:

Robbiegirl said...

Wow, how cool!

I'd never thought about drawing upside down. That's a great idea.