Friday 16 July 2010

snow leopard on velour


I hadn't realised how long it's been since my last post - I've been out and about taking photographs, making the most of the spell of hot weather. Today I made a start on the snow leopard, he is in pastel pencil on velour paper. It is an odd surface to work on and my initial impression is that it won't take many layers, nor will I be able to get much detail. This maybe due to me using pastel pencils - I think that soft pastels would be better for the early layers and only using the pencil for fine detail. I have been think about buying some soft pastels for a while but haven't got around to doing an order. I'm working from a photograph that I took last year at Marwell Zoo - their snow leopard is old but still magnificent - though I have added back his missing top tooth!

No comments: